Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Renée Geyer Band - "Really Really Love You" (1976)






This is a live Renée Geyer album that comes between the previously-posted "Ready To Deal"(1975) and "Moving Along"(1977).

Apart from the band's own title track, and a version of the jazz standard "Masquerade", she covers contemporary soul/funk tracks by Johnny 'Guitar' Watson, the Temptations, Aretha Franklin (a duet of "It Only Happens" with Doug Williams), Sly Stone, and the Average White Band. Her cover of Watson's "Hard Head" has appeared on a few rare soul/funk compilations before.

In the "Moving Along" post I wrote about the initial perception in the USA radio market that she was an African-American singer - well, they clearly hadn't heard her speak before : her speaking voice is pure nasal Aussie suburban girl in the interactive crowd bits ...

Anyway it's her singing we're concerned with here, and this still comes from her great period. Enjoy!

TRACK LIST

01. Hard Head - 5.33 (Johnny Guitar" Watson)
02. Shakey Ground - 4.38 (Jeffrey Bowen / Edward Hazel / Al Boyd)
03. Person to Person - 4.08 (Average White Band)
04. It Only Happens (Duet with Doug Williams) - 4.18 (Mickey Denne / Ken Gold)
05. Booty - 5.06 (Sylvester Stewart)
06. Masquerade - 6.41 (Herb Magidson / Allie Wrubel)
07. Really Really Love You - 11.08 (Renée Geyer Band)

Renée Geyer Band

Renée Geyer: Vocals
John Pugh: Guitars
Mal Logan: Keyboards
Barry "Big Goose" Sullivan: Bass
Greg Tell: Drums
Russell Smith: Trumpet
Bruce Sandell: Saxophones
Miguel Carranza: Trombone
Doug Williams : backing vocals
Otis Kevinagh : backing vocals
Stanley Brown : backing vocals

CREDITS

Producers: Renée Geyer Band; Ern Rose
Engineer: Ernie Rose
Recorded at Dallas Brooks Hall, Melbourne, Australia
Cover Notes: Ian Meldrum
Cover Art / Concept: Ian McCausland & Colin Batrouney
Photography: David Parker

DOWNLOAD WAV - MP3 


32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch

R Boogz said...

ILL

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this.
'it only happens' is one of the sweetest 2 step soul tunes you will ever hear!

Anonymous said...

thankssssssssss

Doctor Okeh said...

nice start simon
gonna have to stay tuned for sho, I see a few already , I may be coming back for , thx for the headz up !

Sergej said...

Thank you. Amazing Blog.

The Axeman said...

She's new to me. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

Simon666 said...

Thanks for commenting guys.
Make sure you also check out the other two Renee Geyer albums here :

http://neverenoughrhodes.blogspot.com/2008/05/moving-along-renee-geyer-1977.html

and

http://neverenoughrhodes.blogspot.com/2008/05/ready-to-deal-renee-geyer-band-1975.html

Anonymous said...

dear simon,

can you put the fender compilations up to rapidshare?

megaupload doesn't working around here....

thankk you!

ish said...

thanks, Simon. Enjoyed the first two...downloading this now.

Anonymous said...

thanks for great job!

soulbrotha said...

Simon, you are kicking my booty! Thanks! :D

Simon666 said...

hi guys, a home-made "EP" of Renee Geyer rarities coming soon ....

and second-last anonymous - yes, I can put them up in Rapidshare tomorrow - but tell me, does Megaupload not work in some countries?

BN-B said...

Simon, this RG stuff is really exciting and the live Herbie, man, it's killing me - thanks for the shares!

Just posted another great lost LP from Brasil at my place. I think you'll dig the hell out of it.

In harmony,
Chris

Gianni aka Cesare Barbetta said...

perfect! thanks simon!

Anonymous said...

dear simon,

yes, that's true megaupload doesn't working in many countries around the world.

thanks for the rapidshare!

Simon666 said...

OK here's my problem -
These Rhodes comps are about 130-140 MB.

- Megaupload does 500 MB, whereas Rapidshare , Zshare and Mediafire only do 100 MB

- Is there anything freeware for a Mac that can make RAR files , so I can split the archive and put it on Rapidshare ?

I'm uploadiing to SendSpace as a temp measure for people who can't use Megapupload, but that only lasts a week, yes ?

Anonymous said...

sorry simon, I'm very poor on technical problems....

I hope sendspace is working, thank you!

the taiguara lp is also over 100mb?

no more request

anyway, thank you!

Simon666 said...

Sendspace link for
"Never Enough Rhodes Compilation #1"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/scw66r

... others coming

ish said...

Oddly though I've been a mac guy all my professional life I still use a PC for my music and home PC, at least for a little while longer. Is there no WINRAR for Mac? It's a really great app; for over 100MB files it can automatically split the archives as you make them and unzip them.

Simon666 said...

Sendspace link for
"Never Enough Rhodes Compilation #2"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a5iu5t

Simon666 said...

Sendspace link for
"Never Enough Rhodes Compilation #3 (In Brazil)"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ch11s8

Simon666 said...

hmmmm what's the bet that now I've uploaded those comps, I never hear from 'Anonymous' again ? :)

Anyway ...

Renee Geyer "Rsrities" EP added, check it out :

http://neverenoughrhodes.blogspot.com/2008/05/rarities-ep-renee-geyer.html

Dreamer456 said...

Thanks. I just discovered your blog. Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

dear simon,

thank you for the uploads!
I will not disappiear cos I like great (fender) music!

thank you!

Wone Nation said...

Simon says " I shall blow your mind a few more times".........

If I could speak for every downloader that doesn't know what they're getting a whiff of.....

I would.....

Let me say thank you before you end up going private lol.

Appreciation

Simon666 said...

Have now posted ’Easy Pieces’ featuring Renée Geyer

Justice said...

thnk u

flageolette said...

Thans man,

Cheers,

paul said...

Just saw Renee perform last Sunday in the park, by the beach, in Altona, Melbourne,Australia. Was a great show, fantastic vocals, absolutely amazing. Used to watch her on the telly in the seventies, she will also be performing at the Byron Bay Blues and Roots Festival. Here is a link to her site, http://www.reneegeyer.com.au/ , thanks for sharing, and great site you have here, peace beeden

Simon666 said...

reupped, see post

ColonelMustard said...

Thanks so much for all the great music Simon, excuse me while I fill my boots...