Wednesday, May 21, 2008
This is a live Renée Geyer album that comes between the previously-posted "Ready To Deal"(1975) and "Moving Along"(1977).
Apart from the band's own title track, and a version of the jazz standard "Masquerade", she covers contemporary soul/funk tracks by Johnny 'Guitar' Watson, the Temptations, Aretha Franklin (a duet of "It Only Happens" with Doug Williams), Sly Stone, and the Average White Band. Her cover of Watson's "Hard Head" has appeared on a few rare soul/funk compilations before.
In the "Moving Along" post I wrote about the initial perception in the USA radio market that she was an African-American singer - well, they clearly hadn't heard her speak before : her speaking voice is pure nasal Aussie suburban girl in the interactive crowd bits ...
Anyway it's her singing we're concerned with here, and this still comes from her great period. Enjoy!
01. Hard Head - 5.33 (Johnny Guitar" Watson)
02. Shakey Ground - 4.38 (Jeffrey Bowen / Edward Hazel / Al Boyd)
03. Person to Person - 4.08 (Average White Band)
04. It Only Happens (Duet with Doug Williams) - 4.18 (Mickey Denne / Ken Gold)
05. Booty - 5.06 (Sylvester Stewart)
06. Masquerade - 6.41 (Herb Magidson / Allie Wrubel)
07. Really Really Love You - 11.08 (Renée Geyer Band)
Renée Geyer Band
Renée Geyer: Vocals
John Pugh: Guitars
Mal Logan: Keyboards
Barry "Big Goose" Sullivan: Bass
Greg Tell: Drums
Russell Smith: Trumpet
Bruce Sandell: Saxophones
Miguel Carranza: Trombone
Doug Williams : backing vocals
Otis Kevinagh : backing vocals
Stanley Brown : backing vocals
Producers: Renée Geyer Band; Ern Rose
Engineer: Ernie Rose
Recorded at Dallas Brooks Hall, Melbourne, Australia
Cover Notes: Ian Meldrum
Cover Art / Concept: Ian McCausland & Colin Batrouney
Photography: David Parker