Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The 'Orgy In Rhythm' series

I ended my last post by praising the work of Bacoso at Orgy In Rhythm for his role creating a history of music(s) often 'forgotten' by the jazz mainstream. His two years of blogging an extraordinary range of jazz, latin and other musics were an inspiration to many of us to explore different listening and even to start our own blogs.

If you click the link above you'll see that he's simply had enough and 'run out of steam' on blogging. This was quite a surprise, the day after I'd blog-linked eight of his albums in my Deseö post!

But happily, Bacoso has given myself and Ish from ile oxumaré permission to re-post from his back catalogue, so that we can keep his wonderful collection of music - and his perceptive writing, and his sense of musical connections - alive online. We'll be doing this in an ongoing series of themed posts credited to Bacoso and "Orgy In Rhythm", so that people can continue to expand their musical knowledge and enjoyment. I'll be starting with some that relate to the histories in this blog, and also the ongoing cataloguing of the MPS and Strata-East labels.

And thanks, Bacoso, for both your incredible work and the privilege of allowing me to continue to bring it to others.

Click the "Orgy In Rhythm" tab at the right for this series of re-posts. or look out for the "classic" graphic that Ish has designed, or just click here

The comments section here is also a good place to thank Bacoso for his amazing two years of work on "Orgy In Rhythm".

14 comments:

dsw said...

Cheers, Simon. A fantastic idea and a great choice for curator! I look forward to these various themes.

heiku

el goog said...

Yeah!!!!!!
Simon, you great.

Cheers to Bacoso and OIR.
Keep it up!!

el goog

Dr. Johnny Fever said...

Awesome Simon!!

I was equally shocked with the closing of OIR myself. I considered it one of the finest blogs out there and besides Loronix it was probably the 1st blog that I really tuned into. So glad you are there to keep the postings alive in the name of OIR. I couldn't imagine anyone else who could do it the same justice that you will. Long live "Orgy in Rhythm" and thanks Bacoso for your generosity over the years.

Peace.........................Dr. Fever

Simon666 said...

Thanks for the support guys - I just think that Bacoso's great music and writing should be out there, so am happy to do this.

g.raf said...

Thanks Simon, and a huge thank you to Bacoso, your blog was amazing and will greatly missed.

AMM said...

hello simon,
many thanks m8,your shooting up the blogosphere as one of THE main men!
VERY SAD TO SEE BACOSO & O-I-R RETIRE!
I FOR ONE WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK & TREMENDOUS POSTS BACOSO !!!

ish said...

As we say in my religion, "Oba Koso", the King Does Not Die!

Simon666 said...

Guys, in case you haven't noticed the change in this post, Ish is now co-curating the "Orgy In Rhythm" catalogue at ile oxumaré. Welcome aboard ish!

soulbrotha said...

Bacosco, yours was one of the best music blogs in the universe. I was so shocked and saddened to see you close down. I learned so much from your intelligent reviews. Thank you for the wonderful music. I am hoping that you will refill your engine and "steam" once more in the future.

Simon and Ish, I am grateful to you guys for keeping the blog's music and memory alive. You done good, boys.

boogieman said...

I hadn't check the web for a few days, being on holidays I tried to keep away from computers for at least a couple of days ... and then Orgy in Rhythm was gone. I just want to say a huge THANKS to Bacosco. I'm over 55 and I thought I new a lot about music (jazz, soul and rock)from the late 60 to the mid-seventies but thanks to you - and a few others - I discovred so much records I had overlooked. A big thanks and a lot of encouragements to Simon and Ish for taking up the flame.

avocado kid said...

A huge toast to Bacoso and Orgy in Rhythm - one of the first and best of the truly great blogs. I will be enjoying my goodies I downloaded there for a long time to come. I'm hoping that after a good break Bacoso won't be able to stay away... I know those deep crates still have many treasures left!

kizza said...

Yes, Bacoso will be missed sorely! Truly one of the best blogs ever!

On another note, hey Simon, any chance I may make a request and ask that you repost one of Bacoso's earlier posts - Gary Bartz "Another Earth"?!? Somehow I only managed to get the second half of that album and would love to hear what I've been missing out on for so long!
Thanks mate! Keep up the great work with this blog! Fantastic stuff!

Caz said...

Hi Simon and thank you for carrying the Bacoso's legacy onwards and upwards ! im a little confused though because i see this post dates back to 2008 - im sure OIR lived on longer than that ? or has time passed that quickly ? no i mean it, really, i am aware of visiting his site only 4 or 5 years back at most - so i dont understand why this post would date back to 2008 ? anyway, I can clearly see the OIR blogsite is no longer live - and note that you have indeed shared many of the prized goods that he shared on his site -

thanks again and happy to see the music lives on !

best,
Barni

Unknown said...

Bad ass blog! Orgy in Rhythm was the SHIT!